Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Update

I've been on the road (see my other blog) and generally busy with Michael's family situation, so posts here have been infrequent. I want to give an update on a few things:
1. Jan Ullrich won the Tour de Suisse; if you care, you already know this, so why mention it? Well, this site's name comes from the 2005 Tour de France, which was 21 stages. So, I periodically talk cycling. I'm psyched that der Kaiser brought the hammer down on the final time trial/stage for the win. Riis' remarks earlier that Jan looked terrible, didn't seem to like cycling, etc. were probably designed to stoke his fires - why you'd do that to someone cycling on a competiting team, I dunno, but I can't imagine Riis really believed what he said. Still, it's great to see Jan approaching top form, and I'm hoping the showdown on the Alps is tight. If either Ullrich, Basso, Levi Leipenheimer, or any other the other favorites - Floyd Landis anyone - take a crazy lead, then it will be a boring tour.

2. I'm teaching English 215 in Summer II. Want to talk about technical writing? Let me know. I've also expanded the community project, so all five of my students (yeah, all five) will be "consultants" to John Ridge's various businesses. I'll do it again in the Fall, where I'm guaranteed a bigger crowd. I'm looking for other businesses that might want to receive documentation created by students in the area.

3. Middletown City Council has been off the hook. I just can't explain it to folks outside of this town, but it scares me to think that this is how city politics works. We have 50K people here - we are a decent-sized place with a 27 million dollar budget. I received a call today from my ward rep, who wants me to be on a committee. I'll listen to what he has to say as I want to become more involved in local politics.

4. Michael and I continue to cycle but not as often as we'd like.

5. I enjoy hitting 24 mph on flats.

6. I don't enjoy hitting 38 mph on descents.

7. I'm rereading Lolita for my project. I've also purchased lots of cool older maps and promotional materials.

8. I moved the Tablet PC and desk from the dining room to the study, so now there are 2 desks, 3 computers, and 1 manual typewriter in the room.

9. My Lolita continues to make me smile daily. Bichon frises are awesome.

10. Enumerated lists are helpful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home