Saturday, June 03, 2006

Do two people make a peloton?

Today I was a "ride leader" for me and Mike, who took his first trip on the big, bad roads of Ohio. We had a great time, but I was miffed at myself for having to get out of the saddle on a hill. I didn't have the right gear (was using Jan Ullrich monster gears), so I suffered. It took me a bit of time to catch my breath, but I was fine for the rest of the trip.

We did a version of the typical Saturday or Sunday ride led by David Myers - to Kathy's Kitchen in Germantown. I had my typical mid-ride meal: some french toast. I did get a banana as well, which was a good choice. I drank water - but a cup of coffee would have been nice. Must think of that digestive system.

I'm already itching to get on the bike again. In fact, earlier I was thinking, I could go for a ride NOW. I'll wait until at least tomorrow to get in the saddle again, but it's such a wonderful feeling to cycle. I hit 38 descending a hill. I hate descending hills. I also hit about 25 on a flat. The bike really responds well . It's amazing to just shift and increase speed by 4-6 mph without any additional effort (or so it seems). Still, I need to work on my climbing skills. I hate that I had to get out of the saddle.

Tomorrow I'll watch coverage of the Dauphine Libere (and lament my weak skills).

Pedal hard!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home