Saturday, April 29, 2006

Spring Cleaning or What Do Professors Do When Waiting for Students to Submit Papers?

This weekend I left all of my student papers at the office. I am determined to give my house a thorough cleaning. Keep in mind: I hate cleaning. I'd rather be reading recommendation reports, feasibility studies, critical essays, and road trip journals from my English 163 class. Instead, I will be dusting, polishing, vacuuming, sweeping, straightening, throwing out, reorganizing, washing, drying, running, standing, and every other activity associated with SPRING CLEANING.

In some ways, the prospect is invigorating, but the reality is far from it. I'm probably more easily exhausted by dusting my house than I am by reading 100 pages of Tolstoy.

I wonder about the housecleaning practices of other professors. Is there an Ethics of Housecleaning? An aesthetic of housecleaning? I wonder, too, if there's some secret trick to cleaning. It seems like as soon as I clean something, chaos creeps back rather quickly. So, if things stay clean for such a short time, why bother?

Well, this post is only adding to how long I will have to spend cleaning this house, so I better quit it now. Plus, there's the NFL Draft starting at noon. At least I'll have some good background noise for my cleaning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home